Tuesday, August 28, 2012

A LIVING CHATTEL

A Living Chattel

What goes around comes around.

Twists and turns of fate.

The story is too manipulated for my taste. The point is the moral: we can't escape our fate.

The characters were not very interesting -- and too one-dimensional -- I realize that's the point -- especially when it comes to Groholsky. He is a slave to love. Or just a slave.

I found the story interesting at the very beginning when Groholsky and Bugrov are squaring off. But once the money deal was transacted -- the rest just kept repeating itself.

What I best enjoy in Chekhov's stories is when the characters surprise me -- inspire me -- when they are so real I feel I know them and understand them -- or I want to meet them and spend a few minutes chewing the fat with them.

In this morality tale -- I never felt the characters were interesting -- more like puppets driving home the point: if you do harm -- don't think you are scott free -- somehow it comes back to bite you.

I'll be good.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment